Originally constituted in 1850, the Provincial Priory of Northumberland and Durham consisted of the Royal Kent Encampment meeting in Newcastle upon Tyne after being Warranted in 1812.
The Mount Grace Preceptory was consecrated in 1872, and slowly the number of Preceptories in the combined Province grew to a total of 13.
In 1975, the Province was divided into its constituent halves, forming the Provincial Priory of Durham and the Provincial Priory of Northumberland.
Our first Right Eminent Provincial Prior, Harold Frederick Lockwood Mavity, presided over five of the original Preceptories, but a steady expansion over the next three decades has seen our present Right Eminent Provincial Prior, Roderick Alan Hume KCT, in command of sixteen Preceptories and a total of 450 Knights Templar.
The Province of Northumberland continues to thrive and welcomes new Knights interested in Templar Masonry into this wonderful Order.